Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Ole Ole

Football World Cup has kicked off in South Africa. In Korea, the people there are gripped with world cup fever. Lots of people wearing red shirts (not the Thai ones) supporting their beloved national team as it do battle in Africa. The TV commercials featured the South Korean team, even the convenience shops (family mart, 7-eleven) were selling items to support the team. My customers talked world cup football with me.

Last Saturday, South Korea played Greece at 830pm (local time in Korea). I managed to watch it in the motel after work. The Koreans deservedly won 2-0 after playing very well but the Greeks were a let down (to think that they were the champions of Europe in 2004). The following day, TV replays, media interviews of the team, expert analysis were on the TV almost the whole day. My customers were very pleased that their national team had won.The TV stations were even replaying the game yesterday when I was at the airport coming back to Singapore. I was happy that I experienced this excitement.

No comments: