Wednesday, June 23, 2010

An Indian Summer

I was away in India on business trip recently. Customers in India are usually handled by my colleagues in Europe. This time, they are all engaged for other assignments and I was approached to assist in this assignment.

I flew to New Delhi and stayed one night at a hotel in the city before taking the car provided by the customer on a 5.5hr journey from Delhi to Kashipur in Uttarakhand state the following day. The road journey itself was an eye opener for me; the road condition was rather bad and shared by animal transportation such as donkey carts, oxen carts (2 donkeys or oxes joined together by a yoke and pulling a cart), huge vehicles carrying goods stacked to unimaginable height and most amazingly, many vehicles traveling at the opposite direction when the road is meant for only one particular direction. The towns we passed by reminded me very much of Indonesia. The weather was extremely hot; a melting 45 deg C!

After the grueling 5.5 hr journey, I arrived at the customer's guest house in Kashipur. The amenities in the guest house was very basic. Interestingly, my room was located right within the dining hall; ie. the dining hall was right outside the moment I open the door of the room. Tasty North Indian vegetarian food and chappati for every meal which I took for all my meals when staying there. The hospitality by the staff in the guest house was fantastic.

Here are some pictures taken along the journey as well as sight-seeing during 2 hours of free time in Delhi:


                                          Taxi in Delhi
                                           Transportation -  Indian style

                                           Road Junction in Old Delhi
                                           Passing by Ganga River
                                           India Gate
                                          Outside Presidential Palace
                                          Outside the famous Red Fort
                                          Taking a trishaw ride

2 comments:

YVES said...

hey! from seoul to india? What's next?

Denise must b missing u much.

Anonymous said...

He just came back from China this morning 1.30am. Korea - India - China in 4 weeks! :) (DT)