Thursday, May 6, 2010

Traffic Jam in China

Every time I took a taxi coming back from Jurong Island to home after a work assignment at customer's place, I will dread the heavy traffic jam on our expressways during peak hours.

Recently I encountered a traffic jam in Nanjing, China that made those I encountered in Singapore seem minor. On 30 April, I was on my way back from the customer's site to my hotel in the city at 440pm. The usual time it takes for me to go from the customer's site to the hotel or vice versa is about 50-55 mins. The journey involves crossing the Yangtze River on either one of 2 bridges linking Nanjing City to its outskirts. 30 April was the day before the Chinese goes on a mini holiday (3 days of Labor day holidays) and there were a lot of vehicles coming in and going out of the city. I was caught right in the smack of this traffic chaos and everywhere my car went, there were massive jams. By the time I arrived back at the hotel, it was already 2 hours since I left my customer's site.

It was a very unpleasant experience. I was thankful that I only encountered it once during the entire duration of my stay in Nanjing.

No comments: