"The world is rapidly changing. We are part of the global community, so we have to change with it." So says a respected person recently. (I am para-phasing what was said)
It was a thought provoking statement. Yes, the world is fast changing. Technology advances, information being readily available and improvement in lifestyle bear testimony to that. Without these advances, I wouldn't be able to write this blog.
At the same time, issues, behaviors and values that were taboo and unacceptable a decade or two ago are readily accepted nowadays. Being a Christian in this fast changing world, how should I behave or carry myself? Don't be a weirdo and behind time? maybe my conduct should be dictated by the situation at that moment? Maybe I should soak into the "culture" so that I can have a chance to witness to my pre-believing friends, colleagues or neighbors? Maybe this, maybe that...the list goes on...
Wait...what about the other way around?Perhaps I should continue holding on to the godly principles that I have been brought up in the church(Not that I am a godly or spiritual person). The bible has always been a best seller and has never been outdated. It has been challenged throughout the centuries but it has stood firm and proved its critics wrong. Similarly, I have seen a lot of close friends standing firm and holding strong to their convictions and seen God blessing their lives. Surely it is worth holding firm to what the word says.
This whole introspection brought the often mentioned Christian phrase "In this world but not of this world" to life for me. It was also a timely check for me.
Dear friends, I hope I have not bored you reading this "spiritual" post. We will post something more light-hearted the next time. Ciao!
NB: The above is my own view for myself. It is not my intention to impose it anybody or cause any discomfort.
5 comments:
This is exactly what I pounder about lately.. As we grow "older" in age, you may realise that certain beliefs you hold on to when you were younger may not be so relevant now..and sadly, some of these beliefs are what you learn abt from our faith.
Are those beliefs/conviction wrong ? No, they protect us. But yet, they may narrow our views and thoughts...
So should we abandon our "traditional" mindset and "embrace" the new? I suppose it is easier to let go and accept and not the other way round.
It takes courage to be different, to voice out your thoughts and opinions and to behave differently.
It can be trying & frustrating.
But utimately, following God's principles will bless us, no matter how things turn out to be.
guess at the end, we should weigh our believes or actions based on the PRINCIPLE of God's word.
For eg, are we going to accept homosexuality in our society(govt is considering to amend law)??? Than what about bikini and sphagetti strips, is it against the PRICIPLES of God's teaching??? How about listening to non-christian music, going movies, clubbing or pubbing???????
my stands is WWJD!!!!!
Romans 14:12 - 15:7
actually, just keep it simple.. adapt to the world, but stick to the truths always...
Andrew
yar.....but wat is the truths.....
tis days, all are so confusing.......lol
Yuh...the fast evolution of this world has inevitably landed many of us in dilemma in the face of conflicting values and beliefs.
Must really seek God in order to be able to rise above all situations through His wisdom, love, grace and mercy.
Being light and salt in the world, we have to always stand tall in our faith with humility in our heart and a flexible approach without bending on our belief.
Sounds tough and challenging right? Let's continue to jia you as we hold fast to His promise in our life journey.
Cheers...Adeline
Post a Comment