We had a wonderful discussion on the lesson at care group last friday. Thought it would be nice to share with you and also get your comment/input on this topic.
We were discussing about the 5 love languages, which of the 5 we have showed for the past week. Then the leader (not me) asked us to reflect on which of the 5 we have difficulty receiving. Each of us gave our input and then a question was posed:
Would you receive a gift (eg. a sum of money) from a family man struggling to make ends meet?
My natural reaction is to reject the gift, telling him that he needs the money more than me. How can I receive money when his family needs it more than I do? I would be insensitive and 'unchristian' to take it. After all, the bible tells us to remember the poor and do good to them.
Yet, on the flip side of the coin, are we telling the man that he is not qualified to give? I certainly do not have problem receiving from someone who gives out of his abundance but when it comes from a poor man, I deny him the privilege of giving? Perhaps, the man's gift may be God's answer to my prayer; when I refuse the gift, I do not receive His provision. Who knows his giving may unlock God's abundant provision and miracles to his family?
Jesus praised the widow who gave her all to the temple; Apostle Paul complimented the Macedonian church for their giving out of extreme poverty. Perhaps it is time we break out of our asian mentality and embrace true christian culture; one that is free to receive without hindrance or guilt.
Just some thoughts I've penned above. Please feel free to leave your comment and thoughts.
2 comments:
hehe...i'll received with gladness...cos God will reward him accordingly...the principle of giving/receiving remain the same...
think will have to judge the situation with prayers and wisdom. however, after all, God did ask Elijah to ask for the last food which the widow has. hmm...
andrew
Post a Comment