Friday, February 4, 2011

5K run in Houston event

While in Houston for meeting recently, I took part in the 5km segment of the USA fit Marathon held in Sugar Land, Texas during the weekend. 3 of my colleagues also took part; 2 Singapore office colleagues who ran the same 5km as me while the other colleague from Holland took part in the half marathon.

Several days prior to the event, the temperature in Houston was as low as -3 deg C. I was contemplating not to run the event since I have never ran in such cold weather before. Thankfully, the weather turned warmer over the next few days and it was about 12-14 Deg C on the day of the run but it was raining lightly. Running in the usual singlet and shorts was not an option, I had to run with track pants and sweater with hood for the first time in my life.

Interestingly, the organizers said a short prayer before flagging off the event. The route is actually within the University of Houston Sugar Land campus. It was a rather flat and dull route with no notable scenery but the run was rather pleasant due to the cold weather. I finished the race about 29 mins. I was happy to have experienced running in an overseas event under a different weather climate.


                    Here's a picture with my colleagues taken after the run.

No comments: