Saturday, June 6, 2009

Under one roof

About two weeks ago, I was on my way back from dinner to the hotel in Nanjing when I saw a lot of security and hotel personnel lining up for some VIPs to arrive at the hotel. Curious, I went over to ask the hotel bell hop who was coming. He told me that it was the ex PM of Singapore. I was a little surprised at the coincidence that he would be staying in the same hotel.

The next morning, I was at the breakfast place looking at what to take for breakfast. (Trust me, after you have been taking the same breakfast for a week, the food does not look appetizing no matter how good they were). A small group of 4 persons walked past me and lo and behold the S'pore DPM was there (who was also here for an event at Nanjing and then the SIP's 15th anniversary celebration). Then I saw a group of people talking among themselves in typically Singaporean accent. They must be part of the delegates there.

A few days later, another group of VIPs came to the hotel. This time, it is the KMT people from Taiwan. Apparently, Nanjing was the last leg of their 8 days official visit of China. I had just returned from work and the security personnel did not allow my car to go to the hotel main entrance. I alighted from my car a short distance away and was directed to take the lift from the hotel back entrance even though I told them I was a hotel guest. I wasn't pleased but I could understand their concern. It didn't help that I was in my overalls and the people probably thought I was some lift repair man rather than a guest of the hotel. Ha!

No comments: