When I went to China last month, the Shenyang customs officer stamped the entry date on my passport. No exit-by date was mentioned. I checked with my chinese customer and he replied that it is for 30 days. I thought, fine. I would not stay so long in China.
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the assignment in China became long and draggy. I finally left last friday after being 16 days in China. At the exit customs, I was shocked to hear the customs officer tell me that I have overstayed. Singaporeans entering China without a visa can only stay there for 15 days. He took my passport and boarding pass and directed me to his superior. His superior told me to go into a small office near the exit counter. I was really worried at this point of time; would they detain me? would they allow me to leave China? What if I get detained?
I ended up paying a fine of RMB500. The receipt issued to me stated the reason for the fine is Illegal Residence (Fei Fa Ju Liu). So I became an illegal immigrant fo a day.
No comments:
Post a Comment